Parks & Recreation
The City of Silverton operates two parks: Silverton Park at Montgomery Road and Highland Avenue and Ralph W. Ficke Memorial Park at Montgomery and Stewart Roads.
Ralph Ficke Memorial Park is located on approximately 12 acres at the northeast corner of the City. Prior to its acquisition by the City, it was part of the Ficke family's dairy farm. The park was purchased from Mrs. Elizabeth Ficke in 1948 and is named in honor of her son, Ralph Ficke, who served the community as a volunteer firefighter.
Park amenities include baseball fields, a regulation sized soccer field, batting cage, tennis court, full-court basketball, two shelters, a playground and a looped walking trail. The shelters are available by reservation.
Ficke Park plays host to the City's Annual Easter Egg Hunt and the Summer Concerts in the Park Series.
Silverton Park is located in the quadrangle bounded by Montgomery Road, Parkview Lane, St. James Avenue and Highland Avenue. The village green style park was the site of the original Silverton Train Station. A replica of the station was constructed in 1976 and serves as a museum. It houses historic photographs and artifacts from the City's past, including the Olympic uniform of Barry Larkin, a retired Reds player and Silverton native son. The museum is operated by the Silverton Block Watch Association and is open to the public on the second and fourth Sundays of each month from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., April through September. In 2001 the station was rededicated as the John M. Kuhnell Memorial Museum in honor of the man who served Silverton as Chief of Police from 1946 to 1969. Chief Kuhnell was instrumental in the reconstruction of the Silverton Station.